Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


American Christians Opt for Different Churches in Search of ‘Authenticity’

U.S. Christians Are Switching Churches Seeking ‘Authenticity’

A recent survey conducted by Lifeway Research reveals a significant trend among Christians in the United States: many are transitioning to different churches. The study indicates that 60 percent of respondents cited a physical relocation as the primary reason for their church change, while the remaining 40 percent offered various other explanations.

Heather Edwards, residing in northern Virginia with her husband Norm, shared her experience with CBN News, expressing a sense of disconnection upon attending a large church in Washington, D.C.

Norm elaborated on this sentiment, highlighting the impersonal nature of such congregations, where attendees can easily pass through without meaningful interaction.

Seeking a deeper sense of community and more substantial sermons, the Edwardses decided to explore smaller church environments following the pandemic.

American Christians Opt for Different Churches in Search of 'Authenticity'

American Christians Opt for Different Churches in Search of ‘Authenticity’ (Credits: Wikipedia)

Interestingly, the Lifeway survey reveals that 40 percent of those switching churches, like Heather and Norm, do so for reasons unrelated to physical relocation.

Scott McConnell, executive director of Lifeway Research, noted common grievances such as perceived judgmentalism, hypocrisy, or dissatisfaction with the preaching quality. He suggests an opportunity for churches to adopt a more outward-facing approach to address these concerns.

Alex Young, a pastor at Crossroads Presbyterian in northern Virginia, shed light on additional factors contributing to church departures, including doctrinal disagreements and shifts in personal beliefs. He emphasized the importance of community within the church experience.

For Heather and Norm, their transition to a smaller church in northern Virginia has proven to be a fulfilling choice. They appreciate the sense of authenticity and camaraderie found in this setting, prioritizing community over polished professionalism.

As Christians navigate these changes, discussions within the faith community, such as those surrounding controversial topics like LGBTQ+ inclusion, continue to provoke reflection and debate.

Individuals like Alistair Begg, whose recent remarks on attending same-sex weddings stirred controversy, prompt broader conversations about the intersection of faith, culture, and personal convictions.

The experiences and perspectives shared in these discussions underscore the dynamic nature of Christian fellowship and the ongoing quest for spiritual authenticity and relevance in contemporary society.

Click to comment
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

We’re dedicated to providing you the most authenticated news. We’re working to turn our passion for the political industry into a booming online news portal.

You May Also Like


Actress Emma D’Arcy is from the British rebellion. She has only appeared in a small number of movies and TV shows. It might be...


Jennifer Coolidge Is Pregnant: Jennifer Coolidge Audrey Coolidge is a comedian and actress from the United States. Many of her followers are wondering if...


Spoilers! The demon Akaza from Kimetsu no Yaiba dies in the eleventh arc of the manga and the one responsible for his death is...


The young YouTube star Emily Canham has recently been seen making headlines for her amazing work and her journey. She started from scratch and...