Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?


Iowa Senate Approves AEA Amendment; Bill Moves to Governor Reynolds’ Desk

Iowa Senate (Credits:

Reforming Area Education Agencies (AEAs) in Iowa is close to becoming a reality. With a vote of 30-18, Iowa Senators have passed an amendment to HF2612, which the Iowa House previously approved.

The amendment aims to increase salaries for new and veteran teachers. This year, the minimum wage for new teachers will be raised to $47,500; for teachers with 12 years of experience, it will be raised to $60,000.

Next year, starting teacher pay would rise to $50,000, and 12-year veterans would earn a minimum of $62,000. Additionally, the amendment allocates $14 million in funding for education support personnel, including paraprofessionals.

Senate passes own AEA bill (Credits:

The amendment brings changes to various aspects of AEA funding. There will be no change for special education for the upcoming school year. School districts must use AEAs for all special education funds. However, starting next year, special ed funds would go to districts, with 90% of that funding being sent to AEAs and the remaining 10% staying within the district if they choose.

Regarding media and education services funds, districts would immediately gain more flexibility. AEAs would receive 40% of these funds, while districts can use the remaining 60% at their discretion. By the 2025-2026 school year, districts would have full control over these funds.

Governor Reynolds supported the Senate’s decision, emphasizing the importance of providing a high-quality education for every Iowa student and ensuring fair compensation for teachers. She thanked Senate leadership, education committee members, legislators, and education stakeholders for their input and collaboration.

Gov. Kim Reynolds (Credits: The Des Moines Register)

Iowa Democratic Party Chair Rita Hart criticized the Senate’s decision, arguing that it weakens Iowa’s AEAs and prioritizes political agendas over the needs of Iowans. Hart urged voters to support Democrats in restoring balance in the legislature and prioritizing the voices of Iowans.

The bill will proceed to Governor Kim Reynolds‘ desk for final approval. Governor Reynolds has announced her intention to sign it into law on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m.

Click to comment
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

We’re dedicated to providing you the most authenticated news. We’re working to turn our passion for the political industry into a booming online news portal.

You May Also Like


Actress Emma D’Arcy is from the British rebellion. She has only appeared in a small number of movies and TV shows. It might be...


Jennifer Coolidge Is Pregnant: Jennifer Coolidge Audrey Coolidge is a comedian and actress from the United States. Many of her followers are wondering if...


Spoilers! The demon Akaza from Kimetsu no Yaiba dies in the eleventh arc of the manga and the one responsible for his death is...


The young YouTube star Emily Canham has recently been seen making headlines for her amazing work and her journey. She started from scratch and...